This week we had some guest speakers, Cory and Tracy talk about how technology can be used to support complex learners. Since we did not have time in class for the discussion, I decided to elaborate on the questions here.

1. What can you do to help students understand that some students will be using different tools and technology than them?

To help students understand that some students will use different tools and technology, I can open class discussions to let students know that tools and technologies have multiple uses, while encouraging empathy and understanding.

2. What do you think you’ll do in your classroom to foster an inclusive environment?

I’ll create an inclusive environment by fostering empathy and understanding among students, celebrating diversity, and ensuring equality and inclusivity. For example, if I were to do a field trip to a water park, I would only do so if I knew all students were able to participate in this activity.

3. What are the benefits of working collaboratively and proactively with parents/guardians?

Working collaboratively and proactively with parents/guardians can help students who struggle in school in multiple ways. For example, Tracy’s daughter was texting her while she was in class, and Tracy was able to help her, which resulted in her staying at school and getting through the day, instead of just giving up and going home.